Author Topic: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting?  (Read 13000 times)
f36t8

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #60 on: May 08, 2021, 08:50:32 AM » Author: f36t8
I also have noticed that in some countries, especially Germany, there are some people who often think that metal halide lamps are the same thing as halogen lamps. In reality a halogen lamp is an incandescent lamp consisting of a tungsten filament surrounded by a halogen filled quartz tube, while a metal halide lamp is actually a high intensity discharge lamp that consists of an arc tube filled with mercury and metallic halogen additives to increase the color rendering.

Yes! That is sometimes annoying when searching for lamps on eBay and many end up being incorrectly described. The reason behind this confusion, is that in some European languages the "halide" part gets translated to "halogen". In German, metal-halide lamps are called "Halogen-Metalldampflampe". In Swedish it is also similar (metallhalogenlampa), and I think in a lot of other languages as well.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #61 on: May 08, 2021, 09:37:59 AM » Author: dor123
The most common misconceptions that lighting I've seen here among LG members:
1. In some of my pictures of HPS lanterns being dim or that looks like underdriven, some American members commented that the capacitor is defect: Well, this can only be happen with CWA ballasts that requires the capacitor for lamp operation. which are of course non-exists in our streetlights, since we are 230-240V, 50hz. through American style arena floodlights and some highmast lanterns, actually contains CWA ballasts, either imported or local made. Some American people things that CWA is the only HID ballast available in the US. I've seen this happens also with fluorescent lamp field.
2. Funkybulb's said about people that saying that the power factor affects lamp operation. Seen this a lot here between American LG members.
3. Calling fluorescent lamps "Neon" (נאון): Was a very common misconception in Israel.
4. Calling Automotive MH lamps "Xenon" (Even between lighting expert): In LG, this looks to me that this highly false misconception is much more common in America than outside America, as if this was actually began in North America and spread from there to the world (In Israel, its looks to me that this misconception is copied from America). As xenon discharge is inefficient at 35lm/w and automotive MH lamps are available in a wide varity of colors (Compared to xenon which have only one white shade).
And of course, the common misconception that people and the media said about CFLs and LEDs.

Update: 9.5.2021
Ah, and calling incandescent lamp with neodymium glass or a fluorescent lamp with 5000K and Ra8=95 "Full spectrum", which is a common highly false misconception between American people, as there is no such a thing "Full spectrum lamp".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:29:42 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 06:06:47 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Another misconception about lighting that I easily see is when European people commonly assume that same wattage metal halide lamps are interchangeable on the same ballasts and I sometimes see some European members connecting probe start metal halide lamps to superimposed ignitors. The fact that all same wattage metal halide lamps are interchangeable on the same ballasts is actually wrong. In Europe, there are 2 breeds of metal halide lamps: some metal halide lamps are designed for operation on high pressure sodium ballasts while other metal halide lamps are designed for operation on mercury vapor ballasts. Operating metal halide lamps designed for mercury vapor ballasts on high pressure sodium ballasts significantly overdrives them and shortens their lives while operating metal halide lamps designed for operation on high pressure sodium ballasts on mercury vapor ballasts increases the likelihood of the ballast overheating due to the lower arc voltage of high pressure sodium lamps. Lastly, operating probe start metal halide lamps with superimposed ignitors will lead to the destruction of the starting probe and render the lamp usesless.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #63 on: November 14, 2021, 02:54:13 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
That's entirely possible, I never said otherwise; the specifications of that device may well allow it, even though it was designed for a 220-240V supply. But others may well not work, so making blanket statements such as "European SOX ignitors all require 240V" doesn't help.

This topic is nearing end of life, I  think. I'm not going to lock it (yet) but let's keep things on track please, and not get bogged down with ambiguous statements or all we'll end up doing is going round in circles, which doesn't help anybody.

To clear things up, the misconception involves people thinking that the ignitors and fluorescent starters marked ā€œ220-240vā€ will NOT work on any ballast that requires a LINE VOLTAGE other than 220-240v, which includes autotransformer ballasts with an input voltage of 120v, but an OCV between 220-240v. The truth is is that these ignitors and fluorescent starters will STILL WORK on autotransformer ballasts with an OCV between 220-240v regardless of the line voltage anyway, but if the ballast is a simple choke ballast, then the line voltage has to be between 220-240v.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #64 on: November 23, 2021, 07:00:13 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know about common misconceptions that North American members have about European lighting and common misconceptions that European members have about North American lighting?

Rommie
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #65 on: November 23, 2021, 07:14:07 PM » Author: Rommie
What exactly are you expecting from this topic..? It seems to me that it's been going on for almost a year and we don't seem to be getting very far.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #66 on: November 23, 2021, 07:24:55 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
This topic is all about discussing general misconceptions about lighting. My next question is about what North American LG members often mistakenly assume about lighting in Europe and what European LG members often mistakenly assume about lighting in North America. The reason as to why I wanted to post that question about across the pond misconceptions here is because I do not want to have to start a new topic that is related to an older topic such as the one here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:28:37 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #67 on: November 23, 2021, 07:27:52 PM » Author: joseph_125
What exactly are you expecting from this topic..? It seems to me that it's been going on for almost a year and we don't seem to be getting very far.

I have to agree, the entire topic at first glance seems to just be posts calling out mistakes made by other LG members on lighting they're not familiar with.
Mandolin Girl
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #68 on: November 23, 2021, 07:33:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
From what I can see, most of the members on here will ask for advice before running up a lamp from a different part of the world they're not familiar with, so there aren't any misconceptions.  :wndr:

Remember that there are members on this site from all over the world, not just North America and Europe.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #69 on: November 23, 2021, 07:38:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
That is true. To me, it seems like members from certain continents like Asia, Africa, and Latin America are heavily underrepresented here because most of the LG members I see live in North America, Europe, and Australia. In addition, I seem to understand that most countries in the world in general use European market lighting.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #70 on: November 23, 2021, 08:53:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
What lighting technology a country uses really seems to be tied into a countries electrical system with some exceptions such as Latin America and Canada to name a few.

Countries using 120v 60Hz tend to follow the US's technology for lighting while countries using 230v 50Hz tend to follow Europe. Japan uses a unique 100v 50/60Hz electrical system and as a result had some pretty unique lighting technology too. I suppose this makes sense since why reinvent the wheel when you could just adopt the lighting standard of the country that uses the same electrical system as you.

Rommie
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #71 on: November 23, 2021, 08:56:41 PM » Author: Rommie
Indeed. Although the UK has always considered itself somewhat separate from mainland Europe (must be careful not to get political here  :mrg:) and as a result some of our standards and practices are different again from those elsewhere on the continent.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #72 on: November 23, 2021, 09:03:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think that's the reason why Canada also seemed to borrow a bit from the UK in terms of lighting too. When MV and fluorescent first came out in Canada, it still had some ties with the UK without delving too much into politics so that might have been the reason UK lighting tech such as 125w mercury lamps, SOI sodium lamps, and MA/V mercury lamps were used here at one point. The proximity to the US meant that Canada was more likely to adopt 120v 60Hz I guess, although Southern Ontario had a unique 120v 25Hz system until the 1950s.   
Mandolin Girl
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #73 on: November 23, 2021, 09:07:19 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You may well be right, which could explain why these gems appeared in a Canadian warehouse a few years ago  :mv:  :bulbman:
Mandolin Girl
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #74 on: November 23, 2021, 09:23:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I think that one of the reasons behind some African and South American countries adopting the 230V/50Hz electrcal system is the fact that they had historical ties to European countries.  :wndr:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies