Author Topic: Is this ballast a CWA ballast?  (Read 3231 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « on: November 21, 2020, 05:33:25 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I just received a ballast that was supposedly said to be a HX ballast because it did not feature a capacitor in the wiring diagram but it does say the word “cap” on the live lamp wire. It does say that it is an isolating transformer on it. I tested the ballast to see if it works and I found out that it does fire up lamps without a capacitor in series with the lamp. Does this mean that this ballast is a CWA and NOT a HX and that it will get damaged if I use certain HPS retrofit lamps in it like the sylvania unalux and westinghouse econolux lamps?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:50:24 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:34:45 PM » Author: sol
I’d say it is CWI because the label and wiring diagramme suggest it. There is a wire labeled cap but no mention of it on the label. Does it have some kind of protusion that could house a capacitor ? Also, the label says high power factor, so it must use some kind of cap somewhere in the circuit.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:42 PM » Author: icefoglights
It may rely upon a cap across the supply wires.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:25:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I’d say it is CWI because the label and wiring diagramme suggest it. There is a wire labeled cap but no mention of it on the label. Does it have some kind of protusion that could house a capacitor ? Also, the label says high power factor, so it must use some kind of cap somewhere in the circuit.

It did have a capacitor connector that I removed since it had exposed wire.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 08:30:40 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It did have a capacitor connector that I removed since it had exposed wire.

I also see that this ballast does not specify the microfarad value for the capacitor.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:39:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Should I also be worried about underdriving 400w H33 MV lamps and HPS retrofit lamps for 400w MV lamps? Should I also worry about this ballast getting damaged if I use Sylvania Unalux or Westinghouse Econolux retrofit lamps?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:31:15 AM » Author: Medved
The fact it is a HPF and yet it does not specify any capacitor is really very strange, because it is just not possible without one.
So it seems they have omitted the capacitor from the wiring diagram (because hard wired? And what else they omitted?). But then it could be essentially anywhere, so it could be any topology (CWA/I, as well as HX with power factor compensation on the primary).

Maybe if you have any chance to measure the phase of the input current (if it is leading or lagging to the voltage), you may distinguish CWx from HX when measuring it without any load connected:
If the phase is capacitive, it is HX.
If it is inductive, it is CWx.

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 02:44:20 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The fact it is a HPF and yet it does not specify any capacitor is really very strange, because it is just not possible without one.
So it seems they have omitted the capacitor from the wiring diagram (because hard wired? And what else they omitted?). But then it could be essentially anywhere, so it could be any topology (CWA/I, as well as HX with power factor compensation on the primary).

Maybe if you have any chance to measure the phase of the input current (if it is leading or lagging to the voltage), you may distinguish CWx from HX when measuring it without any load connected:

I also notice this ballast does not have the words “constant wattage” or the letters “CW” written on it.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 04:51:40 AM » Author: Medved
I also notice this ballast does not have the words “constant wattage” or the letters “CW” written on it.

That does not mean it cannot be a CWA/CWI.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 04:16:14 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

How can I determine if the phase is capacitive or inductive?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:40 AM » Author: Medved

With a power meter able to explicitely display reactive power. Some allow that,but many, indeed, dont.

You may determine it ar low voltage (e.g. 12 or 24V from a transformer), thenyou may connect some series resistor to the supply and use an oscilloscope to determine the phase. The lead vs lag behavior will stay the same, even at such low voltage, but it will be safe to mess with the grounded oscilloscope.

Otherwise if youhave an isolation transformer and an oscilloscope, youmay check the phase on the load (it has to be connected tothe lamp). If the load phase leads, it is a CWA, if it lags, it is HX.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 07:47:32 AM » Author: Binarix128
You can determine the type of load by looking at the oscilloscope waveform. A normal power meter with a power factor indication may work, and you can do the experiments at full voltage and without extra transformer.

The capacitive load lags the current and tend to have a power factor of 0, the inductive load leads the current but I don't know its power factor.

The previous pictures are from this video.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 04:30:33 PM » Author: Medved
@Binarix128: You've found very nice pictures for that...

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 05:51:06 PM » Author: Binarix128
@Binarix128: You've found very nice pictures for that...
Thanks! But I'm still not sure what is the power factor of a pure inductive load, and if we add a capacitor the factor becomes 1.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this ballast a CWA ballast? « Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 06:38:29 PM » Author: Medved
Thanks! But I'm still not sure what is the power factor of a pure inductive load, and if we add a capacitor the factor becomes 1.

PF = 1/Q ...
So with a loss less inductor it would be zero: Because zero losses means zero real power, with some reactive power.

And if we add a perfectly matching loss less capacitor to a loss less inductor, the PF = 0 / 0, so undefined... It will just appear as a pure open circuit. The magic of resonance...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies